This year has been full of blessings coming from Serena's 2nd grade class.
I love her teacher. She is a Christian, with a missionary daughter living in Peru, um she had me at hello.
Her teacher is very detail orientated, and teaching the kids to be self-disciplined, and it has paid off in Serena tremendously!
Serena has had to deal with people who irk her, and I see her showing a forgiving spirit, and learning more about friendship.
I am able to be the room mom, which is what I always envisioned, but missed out on the first two years of Serena's school because the other teachers didn't allow Chloe to tag-a-long with me. This teacher does, another reason I love her.
Well, we have had quite a few parties already, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and today was the Valentine's party. The class parties are much more work and much more stressful than I had imagined they would be. And the fact that some parents just don't chip in can be kind of a drag. Because when they opt out, I am opted in for more work, and more money.
For this party, I gave up on asking for specific items (as rushing out to buy things the day of is hard without a car), and asked parents to send money. I asked for $2-3 from each, not unreasonable, right? Well, only half the kids brought money back with them. So today I was feeling a little bummed about that, after all, that means I (and the 2 other moms helping me) spent all the money and did all the work.
This could have been a really bad day, but I had decided that I would just enjoy it, and the most amazing thing happened.
I got there early to set up, while the kids were still at lunch, so Chloe and I walked by the lunch tables as the kids ate, and half of Serena's class came up and started fawning over Chloe and asking me what was in the bags. I gave Serena a quick kiss on the head and rushed off to class.
Just after I walked to the door, an aide that helps in Serena's class came up to me, and told me "After you left (the lunch tables) everyone looked at Serena smiling, and she had a proud look of 'yup, that's my mom.'"
That made my day.
That is why I do this.
Forget the parents who don't see the joy in making special days at school for thier kids, forget the time and money I spend (but after it was all said and done, I broke about even). My daughter will remember my being there, just like I remember my mom being at school.
And when she is a mom, she will desire to do the same thing for her brood.
So, sorry to all the moms who don't care enough to even send the $2, you're really missing out!
No comments:
Post a Comment