Friday, July 16, 2010

Get off the fence.

I love, love, love, love listening to music about my Jesus when I am in the car (I am not as much a music at home kind of person). And when I have listened to my Tenth Avenue North, Casting Crowns, and Supertones Cd's to my fill I turn on "The Fish".

I have a love/hate relationship with "The Fish". I love the music, I ADORE the music. I hate the talk. The DJ's aren't vulgar, they aren't gossiping about celebrities like it's the most important thing in the world, but they also aren't being authentic about what their station is about.

I can't remember ever hearing the DJ's mention the name of Jesus, they generically mention God, talk about "random acts of kindness", doing "good" things", and all the like, but never do they mention Jesus. Which I find funny, because the songs are all about Jesus. They are unapologetic and sold out for Jesus. The singers and musicians featured on "The Fish" are Christian artists, gladly singing about their Savior. The music isn't watered down feel good stuff, so why are all their talk shows watered down, never mentioning Jesus, junk?

Now usually I just tune out what they say, and wait for the music to come on, but the other day I actually felt compelled to turn the radio off, because I was afraid of my daughter hearing what the DJ's were saying.

They got on the topic of how families these days don't spend enough time together, to which I agree. They said that we are all over committed, to which I also agree. Then the morning DJ says "We're all over committed, you know we love soccer and we love going to church but sometimes it all too much, and we need to learn to cut things out."

HOLD THE PHONE.

Did she really just lump going to church and kids sports teams together, as if they are the same thing?? Really did the "Christian" station just say that church was just another over-commitment weighing down our families?

You know, because of all those families torn apart because they went to church together.

How is going to church and showing your kids that following God and having fellowship with believers is vital to you, a misplaced priority? I cannot love my kids or my husband the way I am supposed to without having God as my number one priority. Because if God isn't my number one, then I quickly forget to put others before me and I get wrapped up in my own self-importance, and forget that I am here to first and foremost follow Jesus and secondly serve others.

Now I know, "The Fish" doesn't claim to be a "Christian station". They only say "Safe for the whole family". But maybe in there lies the problem. It's a schizophrenic message. The music says one thing, and the DJ's say another. Who really would listen to music SO centered on Jesus if they only cared about their kids not hearing curse words? Might as well turn on Radio Disney for that. I have never met a non-Christian who listened to "the Fish". So why do they try to be so generic? Why can't they talk about Jesus? And the Bible? And I don't know talk about the value of Christian fellowship by going to church together?

So I leave my ranting message with a line from a wonderful song by the Orange County Supertones,

The problem's not Hollywood, the problem's not Washington, the problem's a weak divided Church of schism Christians.

1 comment:

  1. Woman, you need to send this to the FISH. ASAP! I feel the same way! You voiced it perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete