Friday, July 2, 2010

Slug Mercedes!

My darling is in the Newport-Mesa school district, and for the summer they have a Science and Math camp for like 2 1/2 weeks. They change the location every year, and only a handful of kids from each school get in. Well this year it was at our school, and my baby was lucky enough to be picked. Today was day three, and I am still in awe of the dynamics of it.

First of all since there are only a few kids from each school, there is NO ONE walking their child to school besides me. There is no crossing guard because it's only me, and my stroller and my angel walking (well plus a few parents who park across the street, but most of them j-walk...saves the whole 30 second commute to the crosswalk).

And the biggest shock to my system, the amount of very wealthy people, driving up in their very expensive cars and SUV's walking out of those fancy-shmancy cars wearing (insert designer name here) shoes, wearing (insert designer name here) glasses. To which I immediately say to myself "They must be from Newport."

Then I started thinking how awful I was for already judging them, and not because they are bad, or doing anything wrong, but because they have what I probably never will; wealth.

Well, lucky for me, my God knows how easily I can slip into the "I wish I had...." mode, so this morning my daily Bible verse in my inbox said, "When you have eaten and are full, then you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land which He has given you." Deuteronomy 8:10.

So I need to thank God that after we got married God moved Brian and I from a room at my moms house to a junior one bedroom apartment. Then we moved from a junior one bedroom to bigger one bedroom. Then from a one bedroom in the ghetto of Garden Grove to a spacious 2 bedroom in suburban Costa Mesa. And I need to ignore the line of Mercedes streaming past my house like a motorcade, because I am blessed enough as I am.

Who the *bleep* am I to complain? What country do I live in? How many luxuries do I take for granted, like health care, an abundance of clothing, running CLEAN water, my pantry and frig being full, my kids not dying of Malaria or Dysentery, my washer and dryer in my house, my yard, my dog, my husband that works so that I can be home with my kids, etc, etc ETC!!!

So today I will be "full" with what I have and I will thank my God for filling me so abundantly full. And I will forget the Mercedes, and be happy with the Sentra I share with my husband.

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! I had this conversation with a girlfriend not long ago... We were saying that judging someone for what they wear or what they drive is a two way street... If you were to live in Bellflower (where we rented before) you would be the fancy girl on the block (like I was) and be tempted to look down your nose at them... Just as you and I look "up" our nose at the more affluent Mommies... I hear ya girl. I needed to hear this. Thank you so much for reminding me of that verse...God is SO Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kat,
    I linked to your blog from Rachels. I think this is such a good reminder to be thankful for each and everything we have. Thank you for bringing me back down to earth because you are right it is easy to get caught up in that so quickly.

    ReplyDelete