Do any of you have the "mom-isms" that you could record and just have it playing on repeat in the background all day long...you know just to save your voice? I have a few "Be nice to your sister". "And where does that belong?" "Stop tormenting the dog". You know how it goes, all day everyday I say these things over and over and over again. The one I find myself saying the most is "Because we're family and families share."
"Why do I have to share my new toy with Chloe?"
"Because we're family and families share."
"But why do I have to let Se-ya use my lipstick?"
"Because we're family and families share."
"But why do I have to split this ice cream with my sister?"
"Because we're family and families share."
All day long, all day long I say this. And it feels like it never sinks in because if they got it, I wouldn't have to say it so much, right?
Well, last night we went to Autumnfest, a carnival at my husbands old elementary school. And Serena won the cakewalk and picked (because she's AWESOME) the red velvet cake from Costco. Have you ever tried it? Super moist red velvet cake with cheesecake filling? **Insert drool here** And she was already convinced she was going to eat half of it...that night...just her, a cake box and a fork. Gotta love the way 8 year olds think (like their mom).
But then we made a pit stop at Brian's family's house and she offered to share her large, drool worthy cake with the family. And at first her grandma protested, saying it was her cake. But then.
It happened.
She replied, "But we're family. And Families share."
I want to cry right now.
So all those times maybe she was listening! And I don't say this to brag about my parenting...because it is SO not brag-worthy. And I don't write this simply to brag about my sweetheart child (but let's be honest that is a small part of it). But I write this as an encouragement to you moms who also have themselves on repeat to what feels like deaf ears. They do listen. And sometimes you get to hear them say, and see them act on something you've been trying to teach them for years.

:)
ReplyDelete