Sunday was an amazing day. But, It started as a busy-bee Sunday, I was getting the kiddos ready, getting myself ready, double and triple checking that I didn't forget anything for Sunday school, and packing lunches for the kids and I to have after church, before pageant practice, and making sure not to forget any of the aforementioned items. Then we dashed off to church, and I was late, so I had to go make copies and get supplies for class while worship started. I hate being late, and it leaves me kind of breathless, and frantic. Finally I got to join the rest of my church family for worship, and after I hurried in and set down my stuff, I looked up and smiled. Sigh.
It was youth Sunday (now I already knew this because my darling Serena was in the bells that day, but I had forgotten about the band being youth too). Up on that stage were 4 of my former students from Sunday school. 4 kids (well not really kids anymore) that I had gotten to know years ago, 4 kids that I got to watch grow up not only in stature(because Lord knows they are ALL taller than me now), but in faith as well. They were leading worship with all the kiddos 4th grade and younger in the front row watching, singing along, maybe even picking their nose, but still watching. And they started to sing a song I adore, with lyrics that say "I see a generation, rising up to take their place..." It hit me; I sat there soaking it up and soaking it in, and saying to God "Thank you, I needed that reminder." A reminder that all the franticness of planning and prepping is not as important as passing on my faith to the next generation. Just as the youth was doing on stage, sharing their faith with the little itty-bitties in the front row (and all of us adults as well). Then another former student came up to do announcements and I swelled with emotion as I watched her.
I wasn't much older than those students are now when I was their Sunday school teacher. I had just come off a few prodigal years in which I ran at full speed away from God, but He in His loving kindness drew me back. And even gave me a job to do (you see my God loves me and knows how much I love having a job to do). He told me to teach kids, to share my newly re-sparked passion for His word, and His love and His redemption with these kids. And as I watch them now, I see it was just as much for me as it was for them. So here is a thank you, to each of you who were serving God by serving us on Sunday:
Levi: Back at the old facility, when you were in 4th grade, in my Whales class, we were singing praise to God to start off our morning. We sang together "God of Wonders" and you got most of the class to stand, arms around each others shoulders swaying and singing along together. I should have known God was forming you into a worship leader. And I thank God every time I get to look back on that day.
Meagan: I still remember you as a sweet little 4 year old girl who had my daddy carry her the entire 4th of July parade. And I remember you being in my class as a bright ray of sunshine, always friendly, always talking. And getting to see you sing worship to our Savior and then sharing how blessed you were serving others in Fresno blesses my heart so much.
Evan: When you were in my class, you were always leading the pack, always smiling, always with a story to tell. And I see you now serving at church, helping in VBS, going to Romania and I see how God was molding you into the man He made you to be. And I am glad to have been able to see it.
Sean: I remember the joy Brian and I had running up the stairs (or at the old facility running back to the last building) to try to beat you to class, only to have you jump out from behind a desk or chair and scare me...because you had beaten us there, once again. You were always ready to participate in class, always ready to talk about God's word and your life, and I know God will use that in you to do amazing things, things I can't wait to see. And I will smile just as big then, as I did the few days I beat you to class and got to jump out from behind a desk and surprise you.
McKayla: I always loved your outgoing nature, how quick you were to talk to anyone and everyone about anything. I loved the fire in your spirit, and I love that now as I watch you on stage, I can see that it hasn't changed. God is growing you, but you are still just as spunky and wonderful as ever. God will continue to use your spunk for His glory as long as you let Him!
And thank you God for letting me witness the next generation rising up to take their place...and thank you for the encouragement it gave me to keep pressing on in mine.
Thank you so much, Kat, for sharing your heart! I sat here in tears as I read your commets...tears of joy, as I agree with you and tears of pride as I watch my girls grow with God before my eyes! It feels good to hear that someone, who has watched them as well and also influenced them, also sees what I see!
ReplyDeleteThank you again! You are a blessing!