Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Will we laugh about it later?

I wanted to ask my Grandpa about that last night as I sat by his hospital bedside for 4 hours, and held his hand and tried to keep him calm.  My poor grandpa had a stroke last week and he has been in the hospital since, and he started off with purely medical problems, which lead to "non-medical" issues.  Like the drugs they gave him to calm him down making him hallucinate. And my poor grandpa kept trying to get up and check on the dog, find the ring someone lost, turn off the gas line, and make sure that glass bottle on the shelf, you know next to his drills didn't fall down and break. You see the combination (or at least that's what we are hoping) of lack of sleep and narcotics left him a delusional mess who didn't sleep for days.  He'd quiet down then within two minutes start hallucinating again.  Never a break, never a rest.

And my grandpa is a really smart guy, who can fix or build anything.  And did I mention at 88 he probably knows more about computers than I do? Yeah, he really does. So to see him hallucinating and talking to people who aren't there, and trying to fix non-existent things, and eating food from an empty hand,  was heart wrenching. And I hope to see him make a speedy recovery at the nursing home so that he can come home soon.  Then I hope to sit and tell him about his hallucinations and hear his signature grandpa laugh, with his signature Grandpa wit making some kind of wise cracks about it all.

So God please heal him so we can sit and laugh about it all...instead of having to tell him what reality actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment