Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fundamentals are the Building Blocks of Fun




Serena loves reading. I love that Serena loves reading, it's something I love to share with her, and I cannot wait until she can read harder and harder books and I can buy her some of my favorites. A Wrinkle In Time is getting closer and closer, I can just feel it!


She is currently in love with "Junie B. Jones books", and after reading them too, I have to admit they are funny. I love that the main character talks and thinks like a first grader, and the things she says and does leave Serena laughing out loud.

She has finished all her Junie B books, and is now on a book she got in a book exchange: "Ramona Quimby, Age 8". I remember Ramona Quimby books. I am so excited that she has already burned through 3 chapters of it, today alone.

To all of you moms with beginning readers.

To all the moms Helping painfully sound out every syllable, explaining all the weird words in the English language that don't make any sense, or follow the rules, so they just need to memorize them.

To all the moms having to listen to monotone syllable after monotone syllable, keep working at it. Keep them reading those BORING beginning readers and paper books that come home, because before you know it, they will be tearing through chapter books. Then they will ask you to read them the chapter book they have already read, just so you can know how funny they are.

Reading gets fun, and one day you'll blink and they'll be reading with tone and inflection. They'll pause with commas AND periods. It'll blow your mind and make up for those long tedious days. I promise. Just wait and see. It's amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I have a daughter who will be 4 in March and Im looking forward to her reading. She loves books!
    Nice reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete