Friday, March 26, 2010

Assimilation and Accomidation

If my very tired brain serves me well, that's what I learned in Child Psych...that as children we assimilate new information into old categories or make new ones. Lord knows I probably am calling it the wrong thing, but I remember the idea. ANYWAY every once in a while my kids do something that takes me back to that class that I loved, and yesterday it was Chloe.

The preschool class at out Moms group learned that "A" is for alive. Jesus is alive! I.E. the story of Easter. So after class I asked Chloe was she learned, and not only did her animation make me smile, her assimilation of new words did too.

She said, and I quote:

"Jesus He had an oowie (very sad). And He go in the tomb brush And he alive!"

Tomb brush. She's never really heard or still doesn't understand the word tomb, so to her it sounded like tooth, so she assimilated it to tooth brush.

It was darling with a capital "D".

No comments:

Post a Comment