Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ode to My Uncle

I could list your diagnoses, Lord knows they weren't few
But not a single one of them were every really you.
I have a darling picture, me cuddled to your legs on a sandy shore
And it breaks my heart to think of those memories,there will be no more.
My peaceful toddler face, knew what the precious word "uncle" meant
And it makes me so very sad how quickly the time went.

I saw you again, as an elementary school girl, barely eight.
And I ran around the house and yard, at a furious gate.
Games to be played, races to run, cousins to help entertain
The warmth of that house, well it almost melted the rain.
We didn't spent much time that trip, just you and I together.
But your smile was always sunny, even without matching weather.

Too much time passed, and still I grew this time at 16 sweet.
And your loving smile, you boldly gave me as a greet.
And you said, "you play ball? Well let's see how you can throw!"
And so we played catch, as far apart as we could go!
You bragged about my arm, though my aim had you everywhere
You smiled and played and laughed with me, without a single care.

And I am sad to say more time has passed, and now I am twenty-nine.
And I have no memories left to make, this side of the great divide.
Your Savior knew, your fight could not be fought anymore
And so He called you home, and opened wide the door
And Heaven is your home now, where safe you will always be
And someday when I am called, your face again I'll see.

Will you play catch with me there too? I'm sure to have better aim.
Who would have known such a memory could come from a silly game.

I love you my dear Uncle Joe.

1 comment: