Sunday, August 23, 2009

Follow Up

So I did my lesson on watching what you say today, and well, it went OK, but not what I expected. I started with the kids writing nice words and mean words on hearts and taping them onto butcher paper...which turned into a few kids saying mean words to each other...not what I intended. But I pushed on.

I did the vinegar and baking soda experiment and the kids complained about the smell of vinegar more than anything. One kid said "That was it?" Yeah, so baking soda volcanoes are apparently so 20th century, and I never got that memo.

Sigh, not what I was expecting for my morning, I envisioned them CAPTIVATED by this point. I blame it on end of summer squirminess....or maybe bad execution on my part.

Then we got to the toothpaste example, and my Serena had been the most behaved all morning (unusual having me as her teacher usually leads to her being upset that she isn't the first picked for everything ever) so she came up and I told her squeeze out as much toothpaste as she wanted. She proceeded to squeeze out the entire tube, not joking!! So I look at her and say "OK. Put It back in now." Her look was priceless. Anyone who knows my Serena knows she is dramatic and expressive with her face, it was great. I can see the wheel turning in her head, mom said do it, so now what?? In fact, now all the kids are paying close attention. They say they have an idea of how to do it, so I try and it won't go back in. It was PERFECT. So I tell her she can sit down and that she did exactly what I was hoping she'd do. The kids got it, we can't take back what we say. We can ask for forgiveness and we receive it, but that word can't be erased.

So even though my first two ideas flopped with a gigantic WA WA WAAAAAA, the last one was a home run and I really think they got it! Praise Jesus that my below par ideas didn't fail to get His word into their hearts!

1 comment: