Sunday, August 29, 2010

So that others may live

Brian and I were watching this show the other night before bed called "Surviving the cut" and it was showing the grueling physical tests that soldiers go through to "try-out" to be Para-Jumpers.  They are the guys that jump from airplanes to go into combat zones and save wounded and bring home the bodies of the dead.  They go into situations in real danger and endure carrying wounded and dead men out of combat to waiting airplanes.  Its mentally and physically taxing.  Watching the show made me wonder how anyone could ever endure the training let alone the actual job.  Then they stated their motto "So that others may live".  And I was floored with appreciation. 

But my mind couldn't leave it there, because I have started a new book called "Becoming a Contagious Church." And it talks about how knowing your Church's mission statement is vital to being effective.  Not only knowing it but making decisions based on it so that you stay focused so that you don't let the good become the enemy of the best (my favorite quote from my favorite youth pastor). So I have been muling that over in my brain.  My church's motto is "Helping people find and follow Jesus Christ".  And being that children's ministry is my main focus I realized I need to remind myself when I am freaking out about a craft or game not working that my main goal is to "Help Children find and follow Jesus Christ".  And what about my moms group work, it needs to be centered around "Helping moms and their children find and follow Jesus Christ."  Easy-peasy right?  K.I.S.S.  Keep it simple sweety.

Well, Children's Ministry and the Moms group are my current jobs within the body of believers I call family, but God has also entrusted me with 2 wonderful little daughters of His in my own personal family. And this is where that show gave me inspiration.  You see this summer, I am sure like every summer is wonderful and slower paced, and also full of fighting children, mean spirited sisters, and
"mom mom mommy mom mom mom mommy mom mom mom" "What are doing?"
"Going to the bathroom."
"Can you get me some food?"
"Not from the bathroom."
"Oh when you're done?"
"Yes"
"Mom?"
"Yes?"
 "Are you done yet?"

So long story short some days have been, well, tiring and trying.  But after reading that book (well just beginning it actually) and watching that amazing show, this is my new motto for motherhood.

SO THAT OTHERS MAY GROW

Cause Lord knows I hate waking up at night for any reason, and my kids are good at finding reasons to wake me up. And I hate cleaning up poop from the little potty Chloe insists on using even though she can use the regular potty JUST FINE. And I hate dishes.  And bickering children make me want to pull my hair out.  BUT

I am not doing all of those things because I enjoy doing them.  I am doing them because my job as their mother is to help them grow.  God blessed me with babies and asks me to help mold them into the women God made them to be.  And some days are bliss, most days are wonderful and some days make me want to lay on the kitchen floor and have a tantrum RIGHT THERE WITH THEM. 

But my job is to keep persevering and doing the hard tasks that I know will pay off.  Like trying to train them in conflict resolution other than "MOM!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE DID??"  Because someday they will face the challenge of difficult people and I won't be there to walk them through it.  And I teach them to be nice to their sister and respect her above any friends because someday their bond will be one of the most meaningful things in their adult life, and it will outlast any and all friendships.  And I have to train them in doing the right thing, not because of fear of being caught, but because it is the right thing.  Because I will not always be there with them to make the right decisions for them.  I need to let them face the consequences of missing out on Girl Scouts, and play dates and being late to school, when thier actions call for it, because I cannot shield them from everything in life, and they need to learn the sting of the consequences of poor decisions now.  Someday they will make decisions with consequences I can't fix for them.  And though I hate to see them hurt and angry when I make them face the consequences of their own decisions, and I hate to send them to their room and listen to them cry until they work it out together,

 I NEED TO DO IT,

So that others might grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment