The smell of wood chips wet with morning dew
Should have told me this was something new.
You laughed, you played, you ran and jumped around
My mother's heart soared so high my feet left the ground.
Still a child, but not for long will you stay so.
You were once my petite baby but then you started to grow
The smell of wood chips wet with morning dew
should have told me this was something new
First grade, first friends, your school days just begin
So many new discoveries and new games to win
These moments come, they hit me hard as rocks;
Today you tied your very own shoes after putting on your socks.
Off you ran, my gaze you didn't try to find,
In these moments I search for a way to rewind.
Remember when you held my leg as if for your life?
And how a simple kiss from me took away your strife?
I sigh as I recall.
The smell of wood chips wet with morning dew
Tell me the promise of something new.
Each day I sit in awe as your intelligence grows
Where your heart will lead you, only Jesus knows.
You love to lead the pack, and guide others where to go.
You love order in your life; everything must be just so.
I love who you are Serena, not just because you are mine.
And it's okay, you can keep growing, I will be just fine.
beautiful Kathy!
ReplyDeletetears...wet soggy tears...they trickle down my cheeks...but joyful memories indeed...as a mom and a grandma (grandmu).
ReplyDelete