Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Slow and Steady wins the race, right?

I thought for sure that Chloe would be potty trained by now. It's her personality to pick up on things quickly. BUT she does not seem to care about doing things the way I would expect. In her defense, it is really hard to do it with always having to be on Serena's school schedule. Right when it would be a good time to pee, we have to take Serena to school. Then another good time would be when she has to nap (she has to nap at a specific time so that she has enough time to sleep before we have to go pick up Serena). Then soon after she wakes up we have to go pick up Serena from school. The day is too broken up to focus on getting the habit of going to the potty.
In spite of all of this she has peed in the potty twice. And she has pooped on the potty twice. Once, when no one was paying attention, just like the 2 pee pees. Then yesterday JUST as we were about to leave to get Serena She tells me "I poop". She was naked, so I thought, great she pooped on my floor!! So I asked "Where is it???" She said "I poop!" I said, "I know, where is it so I can clean it!" and she pointed at her butt and said "Right there!" Duh. She was telling me she had to poop. So I go, "Oh! Go to the potty, go to the potty!" So she ran in, and closed the door (apparently even though I will be wiping her in 1 minute, I can't see her going poop.), and I go in to see she went, in the potty!!!
With Serena we had a chart to put stickers on, and she got M&M's when she went in the potty. But so far, the only reinforcement Chloe has needed is calling Daddy and Grandma and Pappa to share her achievement. It seems as though she may be a kid to responds well to words of affirmation, while my Serena is totally a receiving gifts person.
So, I have decided that I will simply go with her very sporadic potty urges, and wait for the training part of it until the summer when we can stay home and devote a whole day to going. I also realized I need to get a second potty for upstairs, she doesn't like trying to sit on the big potty, even with my help.
I am learning not to rush her, after all she won't be this little for much longer. I am trying to enjoy all of it, even having to change her diaper. Soon I will be planning my day around potty breaks and knowing where every potty is, in every store,within a 50 mile radius of my home. So maybe this slow progression into a new stage is God's grace is allowing me the extra few moments of changing her diaper, when she has my full attention, and I have about 1/2 of hers =o).

No comments:

Post a Comment