Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Her Wings Just Grew A Size

Yesterday Chloe was still out of it, so rather than bring her into Serena's school, I asked Serena if she would be OK walking in alone. She instantly smiled, from ear to ear, and replied, "Yes!"

I mentioned in earlier posts how close we are to school. I am the fourth building from the street, so we're about 100 -150 ft from the crosswalk to get to school. If I walk into the alley behind my house, I can literally see her classroom, which is at the back of the school. Like I said, we're close.

So I walked her to the crosswalk (where there is a crossing guard), and said goodbye and watched her walk across the 2 lane street, down the sidewalk (about 50 ft from the school gate and directly across from where I was standing) and into the school yard (now before you start to question my parenting, I could have ran and been to her in about 10 seconds).

I never thought she'd be willing to take such a big step so early. I mean, it's not that big of a step in reality, but in her little 7 year old world, it's huge. I love being able to let her grow, and stretch. I loved watching her smile. I wish I would have taken a camera.

Well today, guess what she asked to do? You got it. She wanted to walk to school "by herself". I am very happy to be SO close to school, so that I can let her take these baby steps into freedom. She was far enough to spread her wings a little more, but not beyond the reach of mine.

I am certain all of her steps into independence will not be this easy for me, but I praise God that this one was.

1 comment:

  1. I seriously need to purchase stock in General Mills for all the Kleenex I use reading your blogs. So here I am at work...not working obviously...reading your blogs and reminiscing; me letting my young daughter spread her wings grow and leave my nest and now as I watch from the sidelines observing my daughter experiencing the same joys and pangs of letting go...oh my my eyes are flooded; flooded with tears of joy, pride and love. Good job my daughter. Well done good and faithful servant. sniff sniff.

    ReplyDelete