Friday, April 17, 2009

Greek or Geek

I really wish I was well versed in Greek. I love when Pastor Brent tells us what the original Greek word was in the Bible and it's full meaning. I geek out about it. I try to spell it (HA!) in my notes and fiendishly scribble the meaning.

Well Beth Moore is right up my alley, because apparently she's a Greek geek too. I really love getting a more in-depth picture of scripture with Greek words. Such as, my new favorite:
Makrothumia. It was in my study book this week on Patience (it's a study of the fruit of the spirit). She uses two words, both needed to explain patience, hupomone and makrothumia, the later being my favorite though.

In her words "Hupomone possesses the meaning you most often associate with the word patience. It means, "to persevere, remain under...bearing up under...refers to that quality of character which does not allow one to surrender to circumstances or succumb under trial." Hupomone is endurance with relation to "things or circumstances". It is often translated "endurance" or "perseverance". A very strong association with hope is crucial to our understanding of the word hupomone."

Again in her words, " Makrothumia means "to be long-suffering" It means "forbearance..self-restraint before proceeding to action." It is (my favorite part) "the quality of a person who is able to avenge himself yet refrains from doing so. Makrothumia is patience in respect to persons. Everywhere you discover the word makrothumia, you find some form of mercy. The Greek word for the kind of "mercy" present in makrothumia is eleos. The word means "mercy, compassion, active pity, with the sense of goodness in general, especially piety." Scripture uses eleos to describe God."

Makrothumia means so much to me because of the phrase "being able to avenge himself yet refrains from doing so." That's power. Being able to, yet holding back anyway. I am thankful for God possessing Makrothumia. He has put up with A LOT from me and held back his wrath. That has been swirling around in my head all week after reading that.

But also, it is something I truly want to embody myself. I can have a pretty sharp tongue, something I used to be proud of. I have a large vocabulary and I know how to use it when I want to. BUT to be able to avenge myself, yet refraining....wow. Maybe I am alone in this, but that is a huge obstacle for me. I like to prove myself right. I love to argue and banter, it energizes me, and yes there is a time and a place for it...but when the place isn't right, and the time hasn't come...then what? Usually I'd say it anyway, and feel good about it too. God has been working on shutting my mouth and opening up my ears and heart. Makrothumia sounds good to me, it sounds exciting. Knowing what I can do, but using restraint, holding MYSELF back. Lord knows I'll stumble and harsh words will burst from my mouth like Niagara falls at awful times, but this is my new quest, to be so filled with his Spirit, that I can refrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment