Wednesday, April 15, 2009

So many shoes...so few she likes.

My Serena, oh my Serena. She is so, well, Serena.


We went shopping for new shoes with her birthday money yesterday. She has her favorite shoes, and that's all she'll wear, so they wear out quickly. Usually more quickly than she can outgrow them. Her favorite schools shoes were no exception. So we took a trip to Payless. Now, on a previous shopping trip she had sworn up and down that these shoes we bought fit her, until we got home, and I cut off the tags, and she wore them to school. Then the truth came out. They were too big, and somehow I didn't notice in the store. My bad, I know. But she loved them so much she was rather convincing on how great they felt on her feet. So now those gorgeous shoes are sitting pretty, in her closet, waiting for her feet to grow, but I digress.

So on the way to Payless, I told her that if a shoe doesn't fit, to tell me. Cause if she makes us buy shoes that don't fit her, well, she's wearing them anyway. I learned my lesson. I already know what it's going to be like, too. She'll hate everything I think is adorable. This is how we work. I like it, she hates it, but hey at least she's consistent. I was prepared for a long time of trying on shoes. I was prepared not to say that I liked anything before she did. My only rules were, 1 pair of shoes appropriate for school, and 1 for weekends/summer. I don't do wedge sneakers, no matter how in style they are. My little girl should be able to run at school without spraining her ankle on heels. Other than that, her choice.

Poor daddy. I don't think he's taken her shoe shopping yet. He loved these little sporty sneakers, and wanted her to get them. I gave him the "You have no chance, give up now" look, but he kept trying. I guess no one gave him the "Serena is the opposite of sporty" memo. He made her try them on, and I wish I had my camera to capture her face. I had to turn around and laugh so she wouldn't see me. It was the most defiant "these are gross" face ever, and utterly hilarious. Well, guess who won? Yup, she did. The shoes on the side are the ones she picked, only in black. And she got a pair of Hannah Montana black flip flops with silver chains on the straps. Very cute. Very Serena.


The shopping experience was very Serena. She only likes what she likes, and she will settle for nothing less. Though I struggle with that characteristic of hers, I remind myself that it will serve her in life to never settle. Not that she should be elitist, but not to settle below her standards, that will help as she grows, and spreads her wings away from me.


Thank you Jesus for my Serena.


Oh, and my Chloe, what was she doing this whole time? She decided to get into boxes and try on her shoes she liked too! She tried on the pink ones...and walked up and down the aisle imitating sissy.



























No comments:

Post a Comment