Monday, April 27, 2009

Wisdom from my weekend

One of the speakers, in a workshop entitled " Growing compassionate children in an affluent culture." said something that has been bouncing off and around the inside of my skull all morning.

She was discussing a curriculum that teaches kids about the plights of other children in different cultures, and she said

"If we shelter our children from every injustice in the world, how will they ever be moved to act on them?

Amen to that.

Though we need to be age appropriate in what we discuss, and know what our children can handle, NOT informing them what the world is really like, and NOT giving them the sense that God doesn't like it either and He wants to use us to change it, will leave our kids far to self-centered. Not teaching our kids to serve others will leave them emotionally handicapped and bankrupt as they reach the real world and bitterly realize the world isn't out to make them happy. They need to learn at an early age the joy and fulfillment that comes in serving others through the love of Jesus.

Now I need to put my money where my blog is and start planning on how to educate my daughters in the joy of service for Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. WOW - what a powerful way of phrasing that. I wish I would have been in that seminar! Amen!!! Right on to that, I couldn't agree more. Protecting and sheltering are 2 different things - God is in control and we must be obedient to the Great Commission - no matter the comfort that is sacrificed. I think one of our pastor's use to say, God isn't concerned with comfort, He's concerned with character!!!

    ReplyDelete